My Photo
Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, United States

Monday, May 08, 2006

baby chicks or not?

The momma hen has been moved to a box with a blanket in it and I went through the eggs. I am not sure if there are live chicks in there or not. I do know that she has been setting on the eggs for about 3 weeks and if there are chicks in there then they should hatch soon. I got out there with a piece of cardboard and held it in a tube over my little flashlight, but I could not determine much. It has been a couple of years since I candled eggs. One would think that at this time when I held the eggs up to the light there would be some peeping. I am going to try again tonight. I cannot try it durring the day or the hen will try and kill me *laughs*

IF there are no viable eggs then I get to go to Shanks. I am wondering if I should get some meat chicks for her to raise, or maybe some more pullets.

I need to go to the livestock auction today to see what is going on with the sheep market. Our usual lamb buyer has cancer, and feels he will recover completely, but the prices in the meantime seem VERY low... 78-80 cents for lambs when last year fats were over a dollar and feeders [less than 100#] were nearly $110. I wonder if my broker was setting the market here because he is a very fair man. I cannot speak for the other brokers, but usually brokers do not have a reputation [in my experience] as being fair people.

2 Comments:

Anonymous daffy said...

Every time I read about what goes on at your place it increases my desire to visit. I miss you. BTW I didn't have to take the written test again because it has to be so many years after your permit expires for your test results not to count anymore. Still I couldn't get my renewal because the fee WASN'T included in the driving school costs and I won't have the money until I get paid on Friday, so I have to go and pay then. My first road lesson is Tuesday morning! (((((hugs)))))

11:46 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Hey, where are the pictures? I want to see pictures of the chicks, and there was something a few posts back about a new kitty. I wanna picture! :-) Kitties are the cutest.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home