My Photo
Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, United States

Thursday, February 09, 2006

today is optimistic


{Picture is Table Rock... A place I hope to hike this summer! }

I got up this morning. I have found I am more likely to get up and get dressed *laughs* if I put my clothes IN the bed with me the night before. Then there is no getting dressed in COLD clothes.

I stumbled out to do chores. I fed the chickens :) calling them is so fun "Tooook Toook Tooook!" and "CHICKEN ELLEN!" and they come running. Then I fed the calves their grain, took note that they are going to need hay today, and then drug a bale of hay out behind the barnyard to feed the ewes and do a morning check for lambs.

The fog was really heavy. I am kicking myself for not having my camera with me. I could see all the way to Washington this morning. St Helens and I think Adams. Also Hood looked absolutly beautiful. The fog in the #2 field was thick and wonderful :)

I took a walk all the way around the "B" field to see if there were any ewes out there with their lambs. I did really well. I am getting in better shape all of the time !!

no lambs, but they will come in time. I hoped to get some on the ground this week because the weather is SO mild that they could have stayed out in the field with their mothers. Lambs are really tough :) as long as there is not a cold, beating rain. So if the weather conditions are not right, then I put them into the barn until the lambs are big enough to seek shelter on their own. I will go out on a miserable day and there will be 25, 30 lambs in the barn and their mothers are all out on pasture, eating.

I am planning on walking the "B" field several times a day. I walk out to the east fence and touch the corner post, turn north and walk down into the gully, then back up, going west, until I hit the tree patch. After that I walk South East to the top of the ridge and then South West until I get to the gate. There is no way I can miss a lamb if i take this route and it is the longest one possible [so I can get into shape]

I am excited about my life :) and my goals for hiking to Table Rock and then taking more hikes this summer.
I would LOVE to be in shape enough to do the Portland Marathon in the fall. THat is my ultimate dream.
Maybe if I stick with it :)

I do know that i was reading Heather's Hiking Hiatus last night and one day she did 20 miles and it was VERY hard. We wills see! I am bound and determined to be in shape to hike Table Rock. It is an easy trail. About 7 miles round trip.

ACK I am late.... the goats need to be milked and I need to get Boom out of her "Boom Boom Room" aka her kennel :) that is actually a room in the old mobile home that I use for storage :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words created such a wonderful picture in my head. Do I have to get in shape to hike to or can you guys just drag me. I can sit on card board if it would help. El

1:58 PM  
Blogger Gini said...

tooook toook tooooook! ROFL that's so cute! Calling Pip, eh?
:)
My grandmother always said "chick chick chick!" and my mom has always told me stories about that so of course I say the same.
I love chickens. Wish I could bring the kids and dh out and help you farm for a week... Maybe someday!
Gini

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home