My Photo
Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, United States

Friday, August 26, 2005

Things I have learned through this battle with the Monster named Epilepsy

#1 I can give valium I.M. to break up his clusters. If I had known this before I would have had some on hand. It takes 20 minutes for it to kick. I.V. is instant, BUT it takes about 20 minutes plus to get to the vets office and if it is a weekend or night call it can be longer.

#2 the thermometer is my new best friend and so is the garden hose. Keeping him cool does not have to be a gentle measure. Hose him down. Sounds cruel! I never would have thought about doing this, but when a pup's brain and body is cooking at 108+ it is an emergency. They need to have their temps taken for the next two days after that to make sure they do not get too hot or too cold.

#3 Liver and other organ meat is *magical*
I could not get him to eat, but pureed raw liver can be ingested easily as long as they can swallow.

#4 Hydration. I all ready knew that I could make sterile electrolytes [boil water for 20 minutes make sure EVERYTHING is sterile] and inject no more than 5 cc of electrolytes in several places S.Q.
WHAT I DID NOT KNOW: I could have gotten an I.V. kit and done the same thing, setting it up to drip S.Q.

I cannot think of anything else :) at the moment!

2 Comments:

Blogger angrylilazngrl said...

yeah...i always keep an ice pack in the freezer for when duke has a bastard s. i apply to his lower back and it greatly minimizes his post-ictal period. cold is good whe fighting a bastard s....

5:46 AM  
Blogger LisaQuing said...

{{{Lindy}}}

{{{Buddy}}}

Hey, you allow comments now!! YAY!!!

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home